As part of the Vintage World Cinema Collection which showcases iconic world cinema, all fully restored and featuring brand new extra content. The latest release ‘Le Cercle Rouge’, written and directed by one of France’s most celebrated and truly original filmmakers, Jean-Pierre Melville, will be available to own on 4K UHD for the very first time, as well as on Blu-ray DVD and Digital, from November 23rd.
To celebrate the release we have 2 copies to give away on Blu-ray. To be in the competition just answer the following question.
Though Melville is often regarded as the ‘godfather of the Nouvelle Vague’, LE CERCLE ROUGE is a great example of the daring and innovative filmmaking that would see the controversial director influence many artists and filmmakers, from Godard to Tarantino to Johnnie To.
Though remembered now primarily for his intense, spare 1960s gangster films, French filmmaker Jean-Pierre Melville had a startlingly varied career, encompassing wartime dramas, psychosexual character studies, and a collaboration with Jean Cocteau. Melville famously worked mostly independently, even building his own studio. It was this fierce do-it-yourself attitude, and such startling, uncompromising films as Les Enfants Terribles and Bob le Flambeur, that appealed to the filmmakers of the French New Wave, who adopted Melville as a godfather of sorts (Godard even famously gave him a cameo in Breathless). During the New Wave, however, Melville went his own way, making highly idiosyncratic crime films—classically mounted if daringly existential—that were beholden to no trend, including Le Doulos, Le Deuxième Soufflé, and Le Samouraï. His most personal movie was L’Armée des Ombres, which, though misunderstood upon its initial French release in 1969, is now widely considered a masterpiece. Melville died of a heart attack in 1973 at the age of fifty-five.
DVD / Blu-Ray Extras
NEW THE PERFECT CIRCLE
UNDER THE NAME OF MELVILLE
INTERVIEW WITH BERNARD STORA
INTERVIEW WITH JOSÉ GIOVANNI
GINETTE VINCENDEAU PRESENTS LE CERCLE ROUGE
An aristocratic thief, a fugitive and an alcoholic ex-cop are caught together in the thrall of destiny as they plan to carry out the ultimate robbery. Alain Delon (Le Samouraï), Gian Maria Volontè (A Fist Full of Dollars) and Yves Montand (Jean de Florette) star as the elegant, mis-matched trio locked in an elaborate and dangerous game of cat-and-mouse with the inscrutable police inspector (Andre Bourvil – La Grande Vadrouille), who is determined to foil their attempts to pull off the perfect crime, despite being drawn irresistibly to his prey. As the day of the heist dawns, the story unfolds, with all four players determined to cheat fate.
Terms & Conditions
- The prize draw is open to all UK residents aged 18 years or over, except employees of the Promoter, their families, agents or any third party directly associated with administration of the prize draw.
- The prize draw is free to enter and no purchase is necessary.
- All entries must be submitted via https://www.flushthefashion.com/ and only one entry per person is permitted.
- The opening date for entries is 10th Nov 2020. The closing date of the prize draw is 1st Dec 2020. Entries received after this time will not be valid
- [The Promoter accepts no responsibility for entries not successfully completed due to a technical fault [technical malfunction, computer hardware or software failure, satellite, network or server failure] of any kind
- A winner will be chosen by random draw [performed by a computer process on 2nd Dec 2020
- The winner must provide a postal address to claim their prize. If a winner does not respond to the Promoter within 7 days of being notified by the Promoter, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and the Promoter will be entitled to select another winner in accordance with the process described above.
- The prize will be sent to the winner by post within 28 days of being notified of their win.
- The prize for the winner is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered. The Promoter reserves the right to replace the prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if circumstances beyond the Promoter’s control makes it necessary to do so].
- The decision of the Promoter regarding any aspect of the prize draw is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The winner’s name and county can be obtained by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org within 10 days after the date of the closing date of the prize draw.
- Participants are deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions upon entry. The Promoter reserves the right to refuse entry, or refuse to award the prize to anyone in breach of these terms and conditions.
- The Promoter reserves the right to hold void, cancel, suspend, or amend the promotion where it becomes necessary to do so.
- Insofar as is permitted by law, the Promoter, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
- Winners may be required to participate in publicity related to the prize draw which may include the publication of their name and photograph in any media.
- The prize draw will be governed by English law and entrants to the prize draw submit to the jurisdiction of the English courts.
- The Promoter of this prize draw is Flush the Fashion