A newly restored version of the classic British black comedy, THE GREEN MAN is being released by STUDIOCANAL on May 18th.
Starring the scintillating Alastair Sim (A Christmas Carol, School for Scoundrels), directed by Robert Day (‘The Avengers’) and with a BAFTA nominated screenplay by Sidney Gilliat and Frank Launder (The Lady Vanishes), this enormously entertaining farce originally released in 1956, will be available to own on DVD, Blu-Ray and Digital.
We’ve got 2 copies to give away, just answer the following (easy) question…
Supporting Sim are an exemplarity cast of the era that includes George Cole(The Happiest Days of Your Life), Terry-Thomas (School for Scoundrels), Jill Adams (Private’s Progress) and Raymond Huntley (Night Train to Munich). A farce that ticks all the genre’s boxes (mistaken identities, compromising positions, much panicking and slamming of doors), the film makes an interesting companion piece to Ealing’s The Ladykillers (1955).
Looking better than ever before thanks to the new restoration and bundled with brand new bonus content, THE GREEN MAN is a welcome addition to the Vintage Classics collection.
For the 2020 restoration of THE GREEN MAN, STUDIOCANAL went back to the original camera negative where possible and alternative sources where severe damage that could not be repaired was encountered. These elements were scanned at 4K resolution in 10bit and then restored in 4k.Alastair Sim plays Hawkins, a timid watchmaker with a part time job – he is also a professional assassin who bumps off the people we love to hate. But when the philandering MP Sir Gregory Upshott (Raymond Huntley) is the intended target, vacuum cleaner salesman William Blake (George Cole) and Hawkins’ new neighbour Ann Vincent (Jill Adams) repeatedly get in the way. As the time of the assassination draws ever closer and Hawkins tracks his victim to a dilapidated seaside hotel called the Green Man, the laughs and the tension steadily rise to a brilliant climax.
PREORDER LINK: https://bit.ly/TheGreenMan
DVD / Blu-Ray / Digital Extras
- • New: Alastair Sim and The Green Man by Stephen Fry
- • New: Interview with cultural historian Matthew Sweet
- • Those British Faces: Alastair Sim
- • Behind the Scenes and Portraits stills gallery
Terms & Conditions
- The prize draw is open to all UK residents aged 18 years or over, except employees of the Promoter, their families, agents or any third party directly associated with administration of the prize draw.
- The prize draw is free to enter and no purchase is necessary.
- All entries must be submitted via https://www.flushthefashion.com/ and only one entry per person is permitted.
- The opening date for entries is 7th April 2020. The closing date of the prize draw is 20th May 2020. Entries received after this time will not be valid
- [The Promoter accepts no responsibility for entries not successfully completed due to a technical fault [technical malfunction, computer hardware or software failure, satellite, network or server failure] of any kind
- A winner will be chosen by random draw [performed by a computer process on 21st May 2020.
- The winner must provide a postal address to claim their prize. If a winner does not respond to the Promoter within 7 days of being notified by the Promoter, then the winner’s prize will be forfeited and the Promoter will be entitled to select another winner in accordance with the process described above.
- The prize will be sent to the winner by post within 28 days of being notified of their win.
- The prize for the winner is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered. The Promoter reserves the right to replace the prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if circumstances beyond the Promoter’s control makes it necessary to do so].
- The decision of the Promoter regarding any aspect of the prize draw is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into about it.
- The winner’s name and county can be obtained by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org within 10 days after the date of the closing date of the prize draw.
- Participants are deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these terms and conditions upon entry. The Promoter reserves the right to refuse entry, or refuse to award the prize to anyone in breach of these terms and conditions.
- The Promoter reserves the right to hold void, cancel, suspend, or amend the promotion where it becomes necessary to do so.
- Insofar as is permitted by law, the Promoter, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
- Winners may be required to participate in publicity related to the prize draw which may include the publication of their name and photograph in any media.
- The prize draw will be governed by English law and entrants to the prize draw submit to the jurisdiction of the English courts.
- The Promoter of this prize draw is Flush the Fashion