Notting Hill Carnival is only a month away and before his appearance on Dragons Den, Levi Roots was actually selling his famous jerk chicken on one of the stalls at the carnival. A lot has changed since then, but Levi has never stopped innovating and his Meatless Jerk Chicken with Rice-N-Peas recipe, made in collaboration with Meatless Farm and his famous Reggae Reggae Sauce is the perfect way to enjoy Carnival, wherever you may be.
Prep: 20 minutes/ Cook: 30 minutes/ Serves: 6
- 2 x packs of Meatless Farm Meatless Chicken Breasts
- 100g Jerk paste
- 1 x spring onions
- ½ red onion
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 chili
- ½ tsp malt vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Squeeze of lime
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- Levi Roots Reggae Reggae Sauce
Rice ‘n’ Peas
- 410g can red kidney beans
- 400ml Levi Roots Coconut Milk
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 2 spring onions
- 1 bonnet chili
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp fresh thyme
- Coat the chicken in the Jerk paste. If time permits, leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 190’c. Place the chicken on a foil covered tray and cook for 30 mins. Whilst the chicken is cooking, begin cooking the rice ‘n’ peas.
For the Rice ‘n’ Peas
- Add the kidney beans & the coconut milk to a large saucepan with the onion, chili, garlic, thyme & salt. Add 2 cups of water, stir through & then bring to the boil.
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Once the Coconut Milk has reached boiling point add the rice, stir, reduce the heat & simmer for 30 mins.
- Serve the chicken alongside the rice ‘n’ peas & a pot of Levi Roots Reggae Reggae sauce to pour over.
Serve with a side of Slaw (optional)