We’ve got our fingers crossed for the weekend and if the weather is nice it could be a good idea to try this awesome recipe by Athinagoras Kostakos, Chef Patron of Meraki Restaruant, Fitzrovia. Athinagoras suggests using the oven to cook the meat, but I think if the Sun is out it would taste even better flame-grilled on the BBQ!
GYROS MINI TACOS – GLAZED PORK BELLY, ONION, YOGHURT, PAPRIKA SAUCE (SERVES 4)
For the marinade
15g Maldon salt
3g Black peppercorn
3g Sweet smoked paprika
Olive oil (as you need it)
300g Pork belly (diced)
Tortillas (around 8 to 10 cm) 1 packet
10 Cherry tomatoes
200g Greek yogurt. 200gr
1 tspn Sweet Smoked paprika
1 red onion
15g parsley (roughly chopped)
3 pinches of sumac
• In a bowl mix the paprika, salt, pepper and as much olive oil as you like – add the pork belly and leave for 2 hours to marinade
• Pre-heat the oven to 180C
• Add the raw pork cubes onto wooden or metal skewers and grill/fry until caramelised
• Add cherry tomatoes, a dash of olive oil, salt & pepper to an oven proof dishes – bake in the oven for 3 minutes at 180C
• Mix the yogurt and paprika together and add a pinch of salt
• Slice the red onion and cucumber very finely (use a mandolin slicer if you have one)
• Now you are ready to build your taco!
• Begin with your yoghurt and paprika mix, followed by the pork belly, add the sliced onion, cucumber and parsley – finish with a pinch of sumac and a few lime wedges!
Guests visiting Meraki itself this weekend can get their chargrill fix through signature dishes such as Barbecued octopus, wild oregano vinaigrette, grilled onion and capers; Chicken Souvlakia; Grilled aubergine with tahini, yoghurt, pecan and crispy kale.