Ok for 100% transparency I received a packet of Lizi’s High Protein Granola through the post. BUT, I have to admit it was bit of a surprise as I was expecting a pack of risotto. That will teach me for not reading things properly.
So anyway, you may think that a risotto recipe with Granola in it sounds a bit strange an if I am totally honest I did too, but guess what? It actually adds a really nice texture to the risotto and it tasted awesome. Lizi’s Granola developed the protein-packed, vegetarian risotto in partnership with nutritionist Lily Soutter.
It’s perfect as an easy midweek dinner to celebrate the start of Spring (when it stops raining/snowing)
150g whole grain risotto rice (or white rice for quicker cook time)
90g frozen garden peas
50g defrosted garden peas pureed
1 small onion
1 vegetable stock cube
1 tbsp olive oil
90g asparagus, sliced
2 handfuls of Lizi’s High Protein Granola
1 garlic clove
100g green pesto
METHOD (to serve 2)
• On a medium heat on the hob, add the olive oil to a medium saucepan and heat. Whilst that heats up, dice onion and garlic finely, and cook in the pan.
• Add risotto rice to the same pan and stir, coating with the oil. Crumble in a vegetable stock cube, and pour in some boiling water to cover the rice. Simmer and stir continuously for 40-45 minutes. If using white risotto rice, cook as per instructions on the packet as this will be quicker. Keep adding water until rice is cooked; yet the water is absorbed. For the last 6 minutes of cooking time, add the asparagus and 90g frozen peas.
• Whilst the rice is cooking, blend 50g defrosted garden peas, spinach, 70g green pesto with a splash of water, salt and pepper. Blend until a puree texture.
• Once the water has mostly absorbed with the rice, stir in the blended pea puree and warm for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
• Serve in two bowls, each topped with 1 tbsp pesto swirled over and a sprinkle of Lizi’s High Protein Granola.
Lizi’s High Protein Granola: RRP £3.70 for 500g, available from Sainsbury’s, Tesco, ASDA, Morrisons and Ocado. www.lizis.co.uk
PS I’ve actually eaten the whole bag now, but I did notice it own Sainsbury’s this afternoon so I will definitely be trying it again. BTW for breakfast I have been mixing it with Kefir Yoghurt, Blueberries and Banana (microwave the B&B for 30 seconds) and it tastes FAB!!