A healthy sweet treat, packed with vitamins A and C, both helping to keep the immune system strong this Halloween!
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 18-20 minutes
Serves: 9 piesAllergens: Dairy (optional), eggs, nuts
Ingredients you’ll need:
90g buckwheat or sorghum flour
80g brown rice flour
70g ground almonds
50g tapioca flour
2 tbsp milled flaxseeds
100g melted butter or 75g coconut oil
40ml cold water
Eggwash = 1 egg whisked with 1 tsp water
150g pumpkin, peeled and grated
1 small apple (approx. 100g), grated (no need to peel)
1 orange, juiced
40 ml water
60g honey/maple syrup
Hand blender/potato masher / Scales Mixing bowl x 2 /
Whisk / Measuring spoons Grater / Vegetable peeler /
Small saucepan / 9 cm pastry cutter/ring Baking tray /
Rolling pin / Baking paper / Butter knife / Wooden spoon
Teaspoon /Pastry brush
• Make the pastry by whisking the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl
• Add the melted coconut oil/butter, and mix in the water a bit at time until the pastry comes together into a dough.
• Pop in the fridge to chill and firm up while you make the filling.
• Next, grate the pumpkin and apple and add it to a small saucepan with the orange juice, water and honey/maple syrup and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft and mashable.
• Transfer to a small plate and pop in the fridge to cool and then blend or mash (with a potato masher) until smooth
• Preheat the oven to 180c (non-fan assisted) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
• Take the pastry out of the fridge and cut it in half.
• Roll the first half between sheets of parchment paper (this is to prevent sticking), to the thickness of a £1 coin.
• Use a 9cm cutter to cut out 9 circles, and use a butter knife/spatula to help you lift the pastry circles and place them on the lined baking tray.
• Next, roll out the other half between parchment and cut out 9 circles again. On the circles, use knife to cut two ‘X’s for the eyes and an oblong circle near the bottom for a mouth.
• Put about 1 heaped tbsp of the filling on the pastry circles and top with the pastry face. Lightly press the edges to seal – the filling should be visible in the mouth!
• Brush the pastry faces with eggwash and put in the oven to bake for 18-20 mins, until golden brown.
Little Cooks Co is a monthly subscription-based recipe kit that’s posted through the letterbox, direct to kids, in a neat 100% recyclable box with compostable packaging.
The box is packed with all the natural and healthy dry ingredients of that month’s delicious and nutritious recipe for kids to bake in the home. Little Cooks Co is on a mission to teach kids to love cooking and eating healthy food and to create happy family memories along the way.
All recipes are designed by a registered nutritionist and based on the latest science and research, not outdated models of calorie counting. The recipes use whole natural ingredients, no refined carbohydrates (which are a key driver of obesity), and all ingredients in the box are organic.
Little Cooks Co a delicious, healthy and fun recipe kit, for kids, delivered straight to your door from £8.33 a month. Visit www.littlecooksco.co.uk