As 2020 draws to a close, it’s time to start thinking about New Year’s resolutions. If you’re hoping to change-up your lifestyle or improve existing habits, the New Year is a great opportunity for a fresh start.
From fitness, to diet, to sleep, we have tips and tricks to help you achieve your health goals in the next year. So, let’s get started and make 2021 your healthiest year yet!
#1 Find the Right Exercise for You
It’s time to get movin’ and groovin’. Creating a consistent, rejuvenating exercise routine is an easy way to get your health on track. Whether you’re into swimming, biking, running, or climbing, finding joy in your exercise routine will help you stay motivated and focused.
If you’re looking for exercise that combines mindfulness with physical well-being, try picking up yoga. A yoga practice builds strength, endurance, and helps quiet down your busy mind to boot.
#2 Limit Caffeine and Alcohol Consumption
Don’t worry, we’re not saying you need to give up your morning espresso or weekly cocktail hour with friends. That being said, it’s important to be mindful of how much caffeine and alcohol you consume in a week.
Cutting back on caffeine promotes sleep and limiting alcohol consumption improves digestion and gives your liver a break. And it’s easy to cut back! Instead of reaching for coffee, try substituting an herbal tea. When you want a special drink at the end of the day, opt for mineral water instead of wine. With just a few simple changes, your body will thank you.
#3 Pay Attention to Sleep Hygiene
New year, new you, new sleep schedule. If you want to improve your overall health, sleep is an excellent place to start. Unfortunately, with busy schedules and lots of commitments, sleep is often one of the first things to fall by the wayside when life gets hectic.
Here are a few ways to prioritize your sleep in the New Year:
- Stick to a Consistent Bedtime – Set a reminder on your phone an hour before your desired bedtime so you know it’s time to start winding down. Maintaining a consistent bedtime helps you fall asleep more easily when it’s time to turn off the lights.
- Try a Supplement for Relaxation – Need a little help calming down? Vegan, organic CBD vape juice helps you unwind after a long day.
- Keep the Room Dark – Ambient light can disrupt deep sleep. Invest in some black-out shades or a luxurious, silk eye mask to keep the room dark and tranquil.
#4 Choose Healthy Snacks
A healthy diet can vastly improve your overall well-being. Although we all like cheese puffs and potato chips, snacks are often the source of unhealthy eating. If you’re trying to incorporate more nutritious options into your diet this year, swapping out calorie-heavy snacks for healthy options is a great place to start.
- Veggies – Carrot sticks and hummus, organic beetroot chips, and dried seaweed are all great alternatives to fatty chips and crisps.
- Nuts – High-protein snacks like almonds and cashews provide long-lasting fuel for busy days.
- Fruit – If you find yourself with a sweet tooth, grab an apple or a handful of grapes. Fruit is rich in vitamin C and is a much healthier alternative to cookies and candy.
#5 Devote Time to Your Mental Health
Being a healthier you isn’t just about your physical well-being. Feeling your best is about mental health too. Want to improve your self-care but aren’t sure where to start? A great first step is to reach out to a mental health professional for support. Talking with someone about your anxieties or stressors is a great way to process emotions and gain perspective.
Want some tips to try at home? Start a mindfulness meditation practice. Meditating refocuses your attention and quiets your mind on days when life feels hectic.
Set Realistic Goals
Remember, improving your health is a lifelong journey. While New Year’s resolutions are a great place to start, be patient with yourself and take it slow. When you commit to one small change at a time, it’s much easier to sustain new habits. With a few daily changes, you can continue your path to a healthier New Year!