Gary Durrant shares his recipe for Chilled cucumber and avocado soup with brown shrimp and dill.
This dish features on the new menu at Hunter 486, the stylish restaurant within five-star boutique hotel The Arch London. The soup is a healthy and refreshing dish, perfect for an alfresco lunch or alternatively, as a light starter dish.
Ingredients (To serve 4)
1 medium onion finely chopped
½ clove garlic finely chopped
2 cucumbers peeled, seeds removed and sliced
650 ml vegetable stock
1 medium avocado
½ cucumber peeled, seeds removed and cut into small cubes
40g peeled brown shrimps
4 sprigs dill
1. Cook the chopped onions and garlic in a little vegetable oil until soft and translucent.
2. Add the cucumber and cook for approximately 10 minutes until the cucumber is soft.
3. Add the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Place in a liquidiser and blend until it is smooth.(click here for a list of the best blenders to buy)
5. Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl, and place this in a bowl of ice to chill the soup.
6. When the soup is cold, peel and chop the avocado, add to the soup and blend again until it is smooth and season with salt and black pepper.
7. It is very important that the soup is cold before you add the avocado otherwise it will go brown and you are looking for a bright green colour.
8. To serve pour into a chilled soup bowl and sprinkle over the peeled brown shrimps, the cubed cucumber and the chopped dill.
Named after the 1950s dialling code for Marylebone, Hunter 486 is the stylish restaurant within five-star boutique hotel The Arch London. Hunter 486 has been designed with an air of nostalgic London glamour fused with contemporary touches.
The Arch London, 50 Great Cumberland Place, Marble Arch, London W1H 7FD
020 7724 4700 www.thearchlondon.com