Hidden Figures uncovers the incredible, untold yet true story of a brilliant group of women who changed the foundations of the United States for the better — by aiming for the stars.
The film recounts the vital history of an elite team of black female mathematicians at NASA who helped win the all-out space race against America’s rivals in the Soviet Union and, at the same time, sent the quest for equal rights and opportunity rocketing forwards.
Hidden Figures is directed by Theodore Melfi (St. Vincent) and stars Oscar®-nominee Taraji P. Henson (Empire, Benjamin Button, Hustle And Flow), Academy Award® winner Octavia Spencer (Allegiant, Fruitvale Station, The Help), singer Janelle Monáe (Moonlight) in her motion picture debut and two time Oscar® winner Kevin Costner (Field Of Dreams, Dancing With Wolves).
Ten-time Grammy® Award winner Pharrell Williams, a creative force in music, fashion and design served as both composer and producer on Hidden Figures. Williams joined the project early on, particularly inspired by the story that took place ten miles from where he grew up in Virginia. He collaborated with 9-time Oscar®-nominated legend Hans Zimmer on the score and contributed several original songs to the soundtrack.
Q: For a movie that was set before your time, where did you find inspiration to create this soundtrack?
A: The story happened in my hometown, where I’m from in Virginia, so I grew up on the music that was from that time. It was also about trying to serve the story of these women. They were very determined and could only see the North Star. In their situation, their math was never obstructed, it was never distorted by the pressures of what society brought to them for being black and/or for being female.
Q: Who is your favorite artist from that era?
A: I always thought Stevie (Wonder) was amazing.
Q: There are such influential female characters in the film, played by Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer and Janelle Monae and they represent female empowerment, do you have any influential women in your life?
A: Definitely my mother and my grandmother.
Q: It’s common for children to want to become astronauts when they grow up, did you ever have that aspiration?
A: I’ve always been obsessed with space since I was a young boy, but I never thought about going to space, I’m cool. I like to see the stars from here.
Q: If you were living on the space station for months, what would be your soundtrack up there?
A: I like a lot of kinds of music, so I couldn’t settle for just one.
Q: What instrument would you bring with you?
A: If it was big enough for a piano, I’d take a piano.
To be in the draw to win one of 3 copies of Hidden Figures on DVD, just answer the following question.
Special Features Include:
It All Adds Up – The Making of Hidden Figures
No Limits – The Life of Katherine Johnson
The Right People for the Job*
Recreating an Era – The Look of Hidden Figures*
A Spiritual Journey – The Music of Hidden Figures*
Moving the Decimal – Honoring Katherine Johnson
Optional Deleted Scenes Commentary by Theodore Melfi
Hidden Figures: Filming in Georgia
Audio Commentary by Theodore Melfi and Taraji P. Henson
* Available only on Blu-ray, 4K Ultra HD and Digital Download.
Hidden Figures is available on Digital Download 19th June 2017, and 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™ and DVD on 3rd July 2017.
Terms & Conditions
• Competition will close on 1st August 2017
• Open to UK residents only
• Prize for 3 (three) winners will be 1 X Hidden Figures DVD
• Prize is subject to availability. Events may occur that make the awarding of the Prize impractical or inappropriate due to unforeseen circumstances or reasons beyond the control of the Promoter. In this situation, FTF may vary or amend the Prize to provide a reasonable alternative as a result of which the Promoter or parties connected to the Promoter shall not be held liable
• If the winner fails to respond within 7 days of notification, they will be deemed void and an alternative winner will be contacted
• No cash or credit alternative is available and the Prize is not transferable.
• FTF reserves the right to refuse entry or eject the Competition Winner and/or their guest from the premiere if either engages in unacceptable behaviour (as determined by FTF. in its sole discretion)
• Prizes may not be sold, offered for sale or used in connection with any other competition or promotion by the Prize winner.
• Prize details are correct at time of publication.
• If any Prize or element thereof becomes unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances, FTF reserves the right to substitute with a Prize of equivalent rating and audience at its sole discretion.
• The Promoter of this competition is www.flushthefashion.com.
• Winner will be contacted by email within 7 days of closing date.